|It is 78 years since the May 20th 1941, when the largest airborn invasion in world’s history took place in the island of Crete! We are honouring annually the memory of all the soldiers and civilians who sacrificed their lives during the epic battle and we are welcoming in Crete all these people who want to pay their respects to the battlefields and memorials today.|
The Schedule of Commemorations in Chania for the 78th Anniversary of the Battle of Crete 2019
Friday 17 May 2019
11:00a.m. 5th Cretan Division at Kolimbari – Army Cadets memorial.
Saturday 18 May 2019
18.00 Nea Hora harbour – Municipality of Chania. Memorial to the fallen inhabitants.
Monday 20 May 2019
– 10:00 a.m. Official Doxology at Metropolitan Church in Chania .
– 11:00 a.m. Firkas Fortress – Official Flag hoisting.
– 13:30 Ceremony at the German War Cemetery , at Maleme.
– 17.00 Ceremony at the Allied War Cemetery Souda Bay by British Embasy.
-19:30 Ceremony at Greek/New Zealand memorial of Galatas.
Tuesday 21 May 2019
– 10.00 a.m Municipality of Chania — Alikaianos Keriti Memorial.
-12.30 ANZAC Memorial at 42nd Tsikaliaria Str.
– 18:30 Closing Ceremony at Maleme Airfield – Battle of Crete memorial.